more Zerkel - Hartley input?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Prof. Doomaahs on August 27, 2002 at 13:16:10:

OK. I could have easily emailed you off-list, but I thought your input here might be of interest to others. If you disagree, I would be grateful for a private response at your convenience.

CONTRABASS TUBA PLAYING (me):
- never as "clean" as F tuba playing, unless I CONCENTRATE!!!! (much like someone who is accustomed to a really fine double horn trying to play all their rep. on a single horn)
- certainly more "resonant", particularly with a great tuba (The one I am borrowing is great.)
- to me, more suited for "heavy artillery" large ensemble pieces.

F TUBA PLAYING (me):
- ' can play anything I need to play & with a serious practice regime - anything I wish to play
- ' got an instrument that plays in tune all over without any slide pulling
- ' got an instrument that plays in the "funky" range just fine
- ' got an instrument that feels like an extension of my body

Walter Hartley - SONATA

- (though no technical problems in this piece) ' thought a performance of this piece on a "contrabass" tuba in a recital with some colleagues would give me a challenge and a chance to "stretch".
- ' am now remembering (after a few read-throughs) that the piece is mostly very quiet and "finesse-y". Fine, but I could play it on my F tuba in the recital, probably with very little practice and just as much audience communication.
- The loudest low note is at the end of the piece - a low Ab - a great note on my F tuba.
- My only recording is an old L.P. of a so-so player, recorded back in the 1960's. I love the piano sonorities, and hear the tuba part as a "second" part to the piano (much like the Hindemith)

You chose to record this piece on a contrabass tuba.

- What "sold" you on the piece? (I am working hard to "sell" myself. I don't usually select "subdued" solos, even if I like the sonorities and phrases.)
- Why contrabass? Contrabass seems an obvious choice at first, but later perhaps not - particularly for an "F" player.
- Is your recording for sale? May I purchase a copy?

Follow Ups: