Re: more Zerkel - Hartley input?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave Zerkel on August 27, 2002 at 16:25:58:

In Reply to: more Zerkel - Hartley input? posted by Prof. Doomaahs on August 27, 2002 at 13:16:10:

Hi.

Obviously, I think that if you do choose to play the Hartley, you should do it on the horn that feels best for you. Judging from the tenor of your stream of conciousness, it sounds as though you'd really be more comfortable playing your F.

Having said that, I'll admit that I do like doing it on the big horn for a couple of reasons:

1. My IQ drops about 40 points every time my fifth valve is engaged. Performing this piece on F would make me mentally incompetent in 28 states. On the big horn, this sits right in the middle of the tessitura.

2. The very powerful moments in the first, third and fourth movements require a presence of sound that I am unable to achieve on my F.

3. I would tend to agree with you that musical texture and sonority play a big role in this tune. To me, playing this solo on F would be like a baritone singing an aria that was clearly intended for a bass. It can be done, but both would lack the tonal color that may have been intended.

Trust me, I love my F tuba as much as the next guy. I'm reasonably sure that I love my C tuba just a little bit more than the typical guy who likes to play the solo literature. For me, the C tuba is home. I kind of think that one is just short of being an employable commodity in the U.S. if the little is the only horn that they play well and enjoy playing. Playing solos on the big horn helps me to assure that I can still communicate in the bass voice, which is indeed the tuba's primary function. It helps me to "keep it real".

Communicating in the baritone (F or E-flat tuba) voice IS much easier and in many cases much more enjoyable. This is why I love to play the euphonium.

Regardless, I hope that you will enjoying playing this sonata if that ultimately is your decision. I really agree with you that it is a tune that deserves more attention! As for my recording, I am in the process of writing a grant that would enable me to produce a solo CD. It is probably about a year off if my grant request is approved and funded.

Follow Ups: