Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: smaller sousa

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on August 30, 2002 at 13:50:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: smaller sousa posted by js on August 30, 2002 at 11:27:45:

Regardless of how something "used to be", though, if it's not anymore, it's not anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I love this country- if I didn't, I would have left as soon enough as I was old enough to live on my own, but the notion that it's "the land of opportunity", or the "free-est country in the world" is no longer true. It's a perfect model of capitalism, with all the money, freedom, and opportunity at the top of the pyramid.

When we first moved to the United States we were on my mom's work visa, so neither myself nor my father were elligble for employment at the time. My dad was an aspiring writer, but didn't want to stay at home all day- so he volunteered work full time at a homeless shelter in Nashville. I too volunteered 10-20 hours a week at the same homeless shelter. I got a good dose of 'America' in the 6 years working at that shelter, and can tell you that the American concept of "Freedom" could not be put into a dictionary as a valid definition. Richard Nixon summed up this country's attitude in 3 words- "F*ck the damned."

That said, I agree with your points in the above post, just not with the notion that this country has the highest sense of freedom in the world.

Anthony

Follow Ups: