Re: A serious but strange short survey

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Herrick on September 01, 2002 at 03:51:49:

In Reply to: A serious but strange short survey posted by Rick Denney on August 31, 2002 at 16:21:10:

Hmmmm, good one, looking forward to the next installment!!!!!!!!!

I won't look at the other replies until later so as to avoid skewing my response on the basis of input from other's ideas.

Working from the basis of a photograph being a photo=LIGHT graph=DRAWING I think the answer would be YES in all cases as long as the "original" was created by means of "light" creating the original "image". It might be "enhanced" (or diminished) as a result of the latter modifications but working within the commonly accepted definition of a photograph being an image created as a result of chemical reactions caused by certain substances being exposed to light, we still essentially have a photograph.

Of course one could argue that those who take a picture of an Adams or Brady et al print are not taking photographs but merely committing plagiarism. (Please send me a fax copy of all the solos material you have for example). One could of course argue that only the negative and any prints made by exposing further materials to light are true photgraphs, ie "light drawings" with any subsequent image productions, such as a "phot" in a magazine or such being a facsimile of a photograph. Ain't semantics great!?!?!?!?!? But then semantic "nit picking" is often the basis of reaching agreement on what the sound symbols we call language "mean" so that we can understand each other.

One could ask a question here. If a bassoon player were to perfectly imitate Arnold Jacob's performance of the Strauss 1st Horn concerto (making allowance for the fact that a basson would produce a different timbre)would he really be preforming Concerto No1 in Eb for horn by Strauss????

Keep in mind: A square is a rectangle: a rectangle is not a square. A Sousaphone is a tuba; a tuba is not a Sousaphone.

Good one Rick!!

Ken ( apologising for any and all typos, etc as if I take time to proof this my connection is sure to drop out and I really only fired this thing up to look for some info on mares late in foal as I expect another un-expected birth on the property tonight) Herrick

Follow Ups: