Re: Tastes...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex C on August 05, 2003 at 22:07:54:

In Reply to: Tastes... posted by js on August 05, 2003 at 21:55:42:

I don't know if I would qualify the BAT sound as woofy. I think many people assume it's should be woofy and uncentered but that depends on your point of reference.

The first and finest exponent of the (BAT) American orchestral sound was Arnold Jacobs. Listen to his recordings. Not a woofy sound to be heard. Clear as a bell. In truth, his sound would today be characterized as bright. There is an abundance of higher overtones in his sound, especially compared with the Alexander tuba sound. There is a fine fundamental present but the total sound is very clear and defined.

I have heard the sound change to a less defined sound, and I believe it's because of the tastes of committees. If you SOUND like Arnold Jacobs (notice I didn't say PLAY like him) I believe most audition committees would not accept you into the finals.

Audition committees concepts could be shaping the future acceptable sound of the tuba.

I don't know where the direction of tuba sound is headed. I was surprised as I could be that Conn introduced a 4/4 sized tuba. I was even more surprised that the 5X-J's are being used in major orchestras. Go figure.

By the way, on most of those Arnold Jacobs solo recordings, he's playing the big York. Even on "To be or Not To Be." It is unbelievable to me that he could change the sound so dramatically for solo playing using the same tuba. I heard him do it live in lessons and I still don't believe it.

(That is why you could not do it, Young Skywalker.)

Follow Ups: