Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tastes...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck jackson on August 07, 2003 at 13:12:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tastes... posted by Dan C. on August 07, 2003 at 12:53:12:

Maybe yes, maybe no. Ask yourself the following questions:

1. Have you been playing alot lately without a break?

2. Have you been playing alot in the high register and not compensationg by working the low register immediately?

3. Have you been doing an inordinate amount of loud playing?

4. Have you switched equipment lately?

If you can answer Yes to most of the questions, chances are you are worn out. Take a couple of days off and start back slow.

If none of these questions pertain to your problem, you may be experiencing some of the onset symptoms. I am not a Doctor, but I have documented my case well and feel somewhat comfortable asking those questions. Now for the bad part. There is no cure at this time for FD. Some people have had luck with a B-12 routine, Botox, and other things such as cutting out all caffiene in their diet(includes any chocolate). You can train new muscles to take over the others. If you can buzz your mouthpiece with no discernable problem, you are OK. Just start playing like you buzz. It will sound like crap for a while, but gradually you will be able to clean up the sound as soon as the new musculature strengthens. DO NOT TRY TO FORCE THE ISSUE. The muscles you are going to train will not be strong, thus they are prone to injury. Take your time, and remember, it's only the tuba, not world peace, loving your family or being a good human. Good Luck.

Chuck

Follow Ups: