Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tastes...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill Nazzaro on August 07, 2003 at 14:32:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tastes... posted by Chuck jackson on August 07, 2003 at 13:12:28:

Norman Bolter is principal trombone of the Boston Pops and second in the Symphony. When he was fairly new to the orchestra he was playing with the Pops at Tanglewood during the day and recording with Empire Brass at night. He was basically playing killer trombone parts all day without a rest. Someone correct me if I am remembering this wrong, but I believe he has said it took him four years to get his chops back in shape after the beating they took that summer. Which means, chop fatigue is common. Focal Dystonia is not. If you are having a problem, rest and intelligent practice are the best way to approach it. Play long low tones. Take a day off. Take a week off. Take a month off if the problems don't go away. Sometimes rest is the best medicine. I know we can't always take time off, but it is a good idea from time to time. And if you are having problems, killing your chops trying to fix it is the wrong way to go.

Chester Schmitz took a year off when he took his sabbatical from the BSO. Time off is a good thing, especially if problems are developing. A day off per week will not end your career, but injuring yourself might.

Follow Ups: