Re: Sousaphone Mishaps

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on August 07, 2003 at 22:29:27:

In Reply to: Sousaphone Mishaps posted by Steve K on August 07, 2003 at 21:13:27:

The worst sousaphone accident I ever had was back at the UofA. The basketball team had made it to the final 4 and I was not a part of the tournament band. The week before the final 4 a tuba playing friend of mine had to back out so he asked me to go in his place. I leapt at the chance, but I had to wear his shoes, since I didn't own the official tournament band shoes. He wore like a size 13, I wear a size 10. The day before the first game a pep rally was held for the team. The usual entrance for the pep band was to run in at full speed. The toes of those size 13's were flopping all over the place. As I was running one of the toes got snagged on a lip of the concrete that was uneven and I went flying face first into the ground. The bell was badly mishapen, as well as the bottom bow. I scraped up my cheek, both of my hands, my right forearm and tore a whole in my jogging pants (part of the official pep band uniform). The horn could still play but I was a little shaky and I didn't run anymore the rest of that trip.

Follow Ups: