Sousaphone Mishaps

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve K on August 07, 2003 at 21:13:27:

OK, Phil Price's posting (link below) on busting a light fixture with his sousaphone brought back fond memories of sousaphone mishaps. Here's mine:

About 30 years ago, and after playing sousaphone in a high school marching band for a while, I became used to doing the "bell dip" to get the thing through doorways, hallways, etc. without breaking anything. One night, after a late-night band festival, I was walking into the school instrument room with the sousaphone. I was walking with a really cute girl that I desperately wanted to go out with. We were having a nice conversation and, when we reached the doorway, I did the "bell dip" and proceeded to crash the sousaphone's bell right into her nose! It bled profusely (her nose, not the sousaphone)and she cried profusely. Well, the next day I bought a dozen roses for her, went to her house, and apologized profusely. Later on, we started dating, got engaged, and then she dumped me a year later for a trumpet player. I think she was getting back at me for the bell incident!

That's one of mine. What's your sousaphone mishap?

Follow Ups: