Re: Sousaphone Mishaps

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Clark on August 08, 2003 at 10:55:52:

In Reply to: Sousaphone Mishaps posted by Steve K on August 07, 2003 at 21:13:27:

This one goes back a bit too (32 yrs) but, like most embarassing mishaps, seems like yesterday! It was the end of my senior year in high school and we were doing one of those (miserable) parades on a tractor-trailor flatbed. I was playing sousaphone and, as usual with this kind of set up, there wasn't room to turn. The skies had been threatening all morning and about half-way through the parade route the clouds really opened up. I mean it POURED and the wind began to gust big-time. The driver of the truck decided to take a quick right turn up a side street to high-tail it back to the parking lot from which we began. Before I had a chance to get the "sousa-sail" (read bell) out of the wind (which now was really getting strong because the driver was accelerating), I went over backward in my chair crashing into the percussion, knocking over the bass drum, helpless to even move with everything on top of me. It's hilarious when I think of it NOW--not so then.

Follow Ups: