Re: Re: Re: Re: Sound "blending"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on August 20, 2003 at 21:40:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Sound "blending" posted by old phart on August 20, 2003 at 11:26:09:

How nice to play in a SECTION! Most of us on the professional side rarely every get to play with one another, unless a stray concert band job shows up. Most of the time, it's you and trombones.
Back in the days of the Asbury Concert Band, and when we had two tubas on Ringling, I never sat next to a guy who had the same instrument as me.
Things tend to fall into place when two tuba players listen to one another, and observe the (and even exaggerate) dynamics.
The Brits with their brass bands usually purchase the whole band's instruments as a set (or used to) looking towards the goal of unified "sound". In truth, this ceased to extend to the trombone section a long time ago (Conns, Kings and Bachs instead of the Booseys). The blend (and these bands are masters at this) comes from total control of the dynamics at all times. They solve a a lot of problems by listening intently to one another, and striving constantly for balance.
I used to be amazed by the Kenton Band's trumpet section - five different trumpets, five different guys, five different ways to hit the high notes, and dead on - together.
I had some great sidepartners over the years - and only one or two of them played the same horn. None of them played the same mouthpiece.

Follow Ups: