Re: Hirsbrunner Grand Orchestral Model

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on December 06, 1998 at 10:38:17:

In Reply to: Hirsbrunner Grand Orchestral Model posted by John Henry Hingson III on November 29, 1998 at 17:38:59:

The only Yorkbrunner I have seen for sale is Paul Kryzwyki's (sp?) old horn. Most people who have them tend to want to hold on to them. They have an incredible presence in an orchestral setting and provide a strong fundamental to the brass section. This is one reason why they are so unique. The sound is almost totally lacking in overtones which provides more sound at the fundamental pitch with less effort.
The horns are very expensive, but I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I've tested it against the 6/4 Culbertson VMI horns (both piston and rotary) and missed the characteristic sound of the Yorkbrunner. I've gotten so much more work since getting it that I am sure part of this is due to the sound that I get on it. Another contributing factor to the sound is the R&S heavywall Heleberg II mouthpiece that I use.
If you want to find out the easiest way to afford one of these horns e-mail me at pmflewis(AT)net-link.net - mine is an older prototype and the newer ones I tried sounded a little too much like a giant euphonium for my tastes.
Good luck
Roger Lewis

Follow Ups: