Re: Re: Mirafone Eb vs Besson Eb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 10, 1998 at 09:30:27:

In Reply to: Re: Mirafone Eb vs Besson Eb posted by Larry Lilley on December 09, 1998 at 21:44:23:

I have to agree with Sean and Greg. I would be amazed if the Mirafone played with a darker sound than a Besson Eb. What mouthpiece are you using? Many players make the mistake of playing on a much smaller mouthpiece on a smaller horn. I play the same mouthpiece on my Eb's as I do on my CC's. The old Boosey Sovereign I used to own came with a Wick 2L which I found laughable. I'm sure some players out there may like the 2L, but for me, it made the Boosey (which is a really big Eb tuba) sound like a little toy euphonium. Once I ditched the 2L and plugged in a Bach 18, my colleagues couldn't get enough of the Eb. Now, on the Willson Eb I currently have, I use an R & S Helleberg II heavyweight. The horn players in the orchestra I play in keep asking me to stop using the CC's altogether and just go with the Willson, it has such a dark, rich, pleasing sound. Make sure you are using the right mouthpiece before you give up on the Besson, the solution may be that simple...

Follow Ups: