Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grad Schools

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom McGrady on December 11, 1998 at 09:36:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Grad Schools posted by smalltimer on December 09, 1998 at 22:45:25:

I totaly disagree with your point of view. When one is ready to start having a family and wants to settle down, the once a year audition starts to loose its its appeal. As you get older and start to make more than what 95% of the orchestral tuba playing jobs pay, the 20k job that 95 tuba players show up for doesn't look so hot anymore. I have taken auditions for over 10 years, made a few finals and semifinals, tought at the university level for six years with more than 175 students passing through my office and I realized a long time ago that it is not always the best tuba player that wins( when you make the finals any of the top two or three finalists can handle the job)it is the guy who has the best day who wins the job. This is not to take anything away from anyone who wins a job because I do believe they do deserve to be there. It is sad to say there are alot of not good tuba players (mucsicians) but great tuba players out there that will never make it and each one of them will have to make a choice of playing tuba as a hobby living or dream that may never happen. For someone to put down other choices of profession I find it to be an insult, to make your comments you must be very young, a starving musician without a family, independently wealthy or someone who thinks they have a chance at making it to an orchestra. If it is your aspration to play in a symphony the advice is to do it 100% and I wish you the best of luck. Don't put down all those who found it in their soul to move on with something else in their lives that will bring them happyness outside the symphony. Tom McGrady

Follow Ups: