Re: What is an adjustable gap reviever?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kelly O'Bryant on December 17, 1998 at 06:43:06:

In Reply to: What is an adjustable gap reviever? posted by Richard B on December 16, 1998 at 05:26:20:

The A.G.R. is a nifty thing the folks at Dillon Music came up with a year or two ago. I can't tell you specifics, etc., but here is a layman's definition...

It is essentially a two piece chamber that is installed where your normal receiver would be. The adjustable part comes from the fact that you can alter the length of it by more than an inch, via a "wing nut" system that allows you to move the actual receiver part of the thing which actually holds the mouthpiece, which is then met and locked in place by adjusting the outer sleeve.

What it does is give you much greater control of response and sound in various playing situations. Here are a few typical results:

With the A.G.R. all the way "in", you get a very round, mellow sound, and a very "soft" response. This will give you a very smooth, legato, "long bow" approach to your playing.

With it all the way "out", you get a very pointed, ultra-clean sound, and a very fast response. Very helpful when you can't control the acoustics of the hall you have to play in ;-)

A quick story: in the fall of '97, I was on tour in the Mid-west, and did a recital show at Wichita State Univeristy. Well, apparently the recital hall at WSU is world famous: for organists! This place had like a 4 second reverb factor, and the stage was wide enough to sit the Chicago Symphony on with extra leg room. I went into the rehearsal with my A.G.R. set in it's normal "sweet spot" - the place you find that gives you the most clarity, and the most resonance. I had a few set of ears in the hall, and the general consensus was that I was being "swallowed up". I was playing some very technical stuff, and it was getting lost out in the hall. So, I cranked my A.G.R. out all the way and played the same stuff again. Every mouth in the hall hit the ground. Even the recital hall assistant, who knew nothing about tuba, etc. I thought that perhaps they were just telling me what I wanted to hear. Then, the sound guy calls down and tells me that he just recorded the whole "before and after" scene. I went up to the booth to listen, and my mouth hit the ground. The difference the A.G.R. made was like night and day.

It's not a "cure all" device, but it's not a stupid gimmick, either. Certain types of horns will benefit from it far more than others.

The real person to ask about the A.G.R. is Matt Walters, the resident tuba guru at Dillon Music. He helped design the thing, and I believe he monitors this BBS. Hopefully, he will chime in on the subject!

The A.G.R. is a great tool, and something that can be very beneficial in certain playing situations.

Hope this helps!

Kelly O...

kotuba(AT)erols.com
http://www.erols.com/kotuba

Follow Ups: