Re: Multiple Mouthpiece Users

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on December 29, 1998 at 15:47:32:

In Reply to: Multiple Mouthpiece Users posted by Tom on December 29, 1998 at 10:46:52:

I own a few, 6 or so, mouthpieces. I tend to use one for my CC and another for my Eb. My Eb is fairly mouthpiece sensitive and the one I use on it works much better than anything else I have tried. My CC horn is mouthpiece sensitive in another way. While my Eb playing seems to have what I would consider a detremental affect from anything but my main Eb mouthpiece, my CC will accept most any mouthpiece and still easily allow me to produce an acceptable sound. The timbre will change a good deal, but the overall quality is still useful.

I tend to change mouthpieces every couple of years. Sometimes it is because I find a newer mouthpiece which has properties I like better. Other times my tastes change and I switch. I went back and forth between a PT-44 and a Shilke Helleburg II over the course of 2-3 years before I settled on my present choice of a PT-88. Before I purchased my Eb, I played some of the higher or lighter literature on a smaller Helleburg style mouthpiece.

I have leftover mouthpieces I rairly, if ever, use lying around the house. I keep them in case I later decide to mix things up and try them again. Also never know if a future horn, or a student's horn, will match up well with one of them.

sean

Follow Ups: