Re: Purchasing tuba at Midwest Clinic.......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Hite on December 07, 1999 at 15:33:28:

In Reply to: Purchasing tuba at Midwest Clinic....... posted by Josh Norris on December 07, 1999 at 12:01:14:

There are both pros and cons to purchasing a horn at a large convention like MidWest. You will be able to sample a large selection of horns and mps throughout the exhibit hall and be able to compare several models you prefer. But, you are in a large, congested room with dozens of other people trying to do the same thing. Some exhibitors will reserve a room for testing horns without the "lick and volume" competition. Bring to the show an idea or concept of sound, features that you prefer on a horn, and finally some brands that you may have comments or questions about. If this experience does nothing more than narrow your choices to a couple, that would be a success in my mind. Make a log of your choices, opinions, etc. to use to narrow your choices. Also bring another, or three, sets of ears to listen and, provided they know what to listen for, listen to what they say. Perception of sound changes in front of the horn. Finally, before you make up your mind to purchase the horn, check with the dealer to see if they will allow you to purchase the instrument at the show. Some dealers will not due to tax laws and other specifics which I don't know off hand. On the other hand, they may let it go on site when the exhibits close. As far as cases go, check with the dealer to see what they are bringing and if cases are included. I know Brasswind, Custom, TE, and Fedderly have brought cases in the past. Above all, don't feel rushed into buying something you may not like as much when you get home. Happy shopping, and pardon the rambling. CHH

Follow Ups: