Re: Horn Colors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale Phelps on December 18, 1999 at 04:01:31:

In Reply to: Horn Colors posted by Tony Clements on December 17, 1999 at 19:56:20:

I am amazed at the infant-boy responses that have come Tony's way as a result of his post. f.w.i.w. All my early tubas were brass, and my two tubas (this week I have two) are now silver. The Holton is bright silver, the Bohm and Meinl is satin. I don't know why they are silver now, they just are....and it WAS kinda funny to note after tony mentioned it, until I read that CRAP response string. I didn't mention my tubas to "show off" ... I was just mentioning them! And thass all Tony was doin. SHEESH.
Most of you people here who actually matter know that Tony is my teacher, and that I love him dearly (if you do not love your teacher you need a new teacher!) That said, I think it is appalling that his start of what was meant to be an interesting topic for discussion was construed as anything less. Tony makes his entire living playing tuba, and he has for as long as I have known him (18 years at least) The man and his lovely wife have two cool dogs and they live in a gorgeous home in an area with the most expensive real estate in the United States, Silicon Valley. All THAT really means is that if his sole source of income comes from playing tuba, then he is DAMN well doing something right, and I dare say as well (if not better) than 99.9% of the rest of us BBS'ers. So if he has some nice horns today, it's because of 2 things 1) because he needs and uses them to earn his livelihood, and 2) because HE EARNED them! Its sad that some clown (who prolly had their mommy or daddy write a check for their whatever "best-since-sliced-bread tuba) could be so chicken as to suggest ANYone here "get a life" or call someone "a loser." The fact is Mr. Clements is a winner at the tuba-thing, and a winner at life in general as far as I am concerned. Tony started checking in on this BBS a coupla months ago, partly at my suggestion, and his contributions have been based on a successful professional's perspective. Unlike most, his posts (like his teaching) were also intended to benefit young players. If he blows out of here, I don't blame him. Most of the real full-time pros don't bother with you kids anymore because you've pulled this same shit on them too...so it's your loss. Same thing happened to the TubaEuph list, I do not care about the claimed "camaraderie" of the T.U.B.A. people or whatever, if your members act like Jr. High School brats, and your "leaders" chose to snicker or otherwise do nothing about it, then adults who have better things to do than babysit or stand around and be abused by Beavis and Tubahead will just leave. Merry Christmas.

Follow Ups: