Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cerveny 693 vs ST.Petersburg.HELP!!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dale on December 23, 1999 at 02:08:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cerveny 693 vs ST.Petersburg.HELP!!!!!!! posted by Doug on December 22, 1999 at 21:26:42:

I bought my first tuba in 1981 from Norm Bartold in L.A. (anyone remember him?)
It cost me a thousand bucks. It was a 4-valve rotary, and I was 25 years old.
I had to ride the bus down to Santa Barbara from San Jose to pick it up (Norm
drove up to meet me) It was a La Sete. A grand in '81 was no small sum for someone on a 7-buck an hour salary. The La Sete?? Not as good as sliced bread, but heck, it was almost three years before I decided I needed a "better" horn, and I bought a new Mirafone (student loan money.) For over three times as much money. These were BOTH financial hardships for me at the times I got them. Heck, my dad was livid - he though he had raised a financially-responsible kid! What's that have to do with a St Pete or a Cerveny? Probably not much. I didn't lose money when I sold the La Sete. I am not bragging or practicing effete snobbery by relating this experience either. The La Sete was no St Pete, but then the Cerveny is no Mirafone either. Why would someone like me even care whether some stranger spends their money on a St Pete?? (if you ask I'll tell you DON'T do it!) The reason why is probably only obvious to the folks who actually KNOW me. Unfortunately (it seems) MOST folks here seem to think that there's an agenda to every post on here, why IS that? Isn't it possible that SOMEone is altruistic or otherwise TRYing to be helpful? Is it the big-ass full moon outside that has people so testy? Or are we all feeling a little low-on-the-spam-and-bottled-water-supply-in-fear-of-Y2K???

Follow Ups: