Re: ability

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erik on December 18, 2000 at 23:46:50:

In Reply to: ability posted by the observer on December 18, 2000 at 23:33:44:

1. As high as you can play with a good sound. While you can always work on range, sound is what really matters. But to answer your question, I suppose somewhere around a high F (above staff) on a BBb, but comfortably to maybe the D below that.

2. If well=musically, it really depends on the player. There are many pieces that one can get through technically, but to execute them musically is another story. I will assume, given your first question, that you are looking for a technical challenge. Well, if you want to work up high and play musically (though not exactly a technical challenge I suppose), Die Meistersinger is good. If you want to challenge your ear, get your hands on Hartley's Suite for Unaccomp. Tuba. It's got some strange intervals you don't hear every day. For a very technical study, I guess something like Arban's Carnival of Venice would have a lot of notes.

Always remember to keep in mind that you are playing music, not notes. Does being able to play that high F really help you express a musical idea? More than likely, spending more time on the song rather than the notes would yield a more impressive performance. Sorry to go on about this somewhat of topic issue, but it is something teachers have always stress to me. Also, how low can you go, maintaining good tone? See the pedal thread below for tips.

Good luck and keep practicing,

Erik

Follow Ups: