Re: ****4/4 CC Tuba WANTED****

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 20, 2000 at 15:58:54:

In Reply to: ****4/4 CC Tuba WANTED**** posted by MisfitsTubist on December 20, 2000 at 15:22:50:

With all due respect, a horn that is good for orchestra will not be good for the Vaughan Williams, and vice versa. The horns you mentioned are all small, and might not be best for orchestra. Some players can do all that with one horn, but most will use two to cover all those bases.

But you want a horn with maximum versatility, and that is sensible. Most folks seem to want the biggest horn they can hold off the ground. But remember that a horn, however sensibly chosen, is no more versatile than the player.

You might consider a (gasp!) Miraphone 186 CC. You can buy a good one for your price and have enough money left over for a series of lessons with the local symphony pro (or for the next round of lessons). And Miraphone is so out of style these days that it makes an individual statement. The sound is not to everyone's taste, but the horn is relatively easy to play and versatile, and it plays in tune without miracles.

Aside: I'd bet I saw half a dozen Hirsbrunners at the DC TubaChristmas. Probably 12 or 15 variations on the Amati/Cerveny theme, and even more VMI/B&S variants. There were a few (surprisingly few) Meinl-Westons. There was an Alexander, a Rudy Meinl, and a host of Yamahahahahas. The classic old American makers (Conn, King) were well represented. But, you know, I don't think I saw a single Miraphone. I wouldn't have thought that was possible.

Speaking of Cerveny, you could also do worse than a Cerveny piggy, which has some endearing qualities, perfect intonation not being one of them. It will cost less than the Miraphone by a ways.

Baltimore Brass has a Yamaha 822 CC or two on their web site in your price range. That would be a good choice, if you like a Yamaha 822. I don't remember seeing one of those at the DC TubaChristmas, either.

Dillons had several interesting choices, but the ones listed on their web page seemed to either be small (Conn Harvey Phillips model) or large (converted Holton BAT). But they might have something to suit that is not listed. The two exceptions are a couple of Kalison Daryl Smith 4/4 horns, which have a reputation for a good sound and funky (to put it positively) intonation problems.

Both of the above can be found from the Shops page on this site.

Of course, others will come along and tell you that you need a road trip so that you can play horns to find one that suits your objectives.

Rick "who played a plastic sousaphone in high school and is jealous" Denney

Follow Ups: