Re: Re: Re: Ken Burns film on PBS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Christopher on January 02, 2001 at 09:37:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Ken Burns film on PBS posted by Guy on January 01, 2001 at 10:14:03:

Considering he begins his story in 1917 (an extremely late date for the beginnings of jazz by any argument), the last forty years of an 83 year period contains a lot more than "the most recent activity." Read my earlier post for a short list of major movements in jazz history that had reached a form of completion before 1980.

The fear among a lot of us in the jazz world is that while it will bring good exposure to some early forms of jazz, it will do nothing to promote jazz as a living art form. Indeed, there's not just a problem of leaving out a good half of jazz history; looking at the book and hearing the rumors (and the actual word of many of the consultants for the series), it seems there is a good bit of derision of the good people that haven't wanted to freeze jazz as a dead art form since 1958.

Me on my high horse again... Anyway, I won't expect Ray Draper or Joe Daley to get much attention, but I am excited about the first couple episodes vis-a-vis the tuba players!

Follow Ups: