Re: Re: Re: Re: Good 1st Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on December 01, 2001 at 21:07:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Good 1st Tuba posted by Is the G-50 big enough? (not flame bait) on December 01, 2001 at 20:20:21:

I've used mine is a few large honor bands and felt that it did very well. It seems to project very well and the high register seems ok to me. It was just the horn I had to have.

I took the horn over to tubastore today looking for a regular hard case, when this very thing came up. Physically, the horn is about an inch shorter than a 56J, and IMHO I think that it is a better horn than the Conn, and the Conn isn't bad by any means...I mean that's why I purchased it right? Mark made the comment that it is like a piggy with a giant bell.

The G-50 isn't really as small as people think it is...it is just compact, or "pushed together" more than other horns are. But I won't say it is a smashed version of a _______ model made by some other company, because it isn't.

So, yes I do think it is big enough for what most people need to do. David Fedderly and Chester Schmitz have done great things on their G-50's in MAJOR symphony orchestras, so it can be done, although I think a bigger horn might be better suited for the situation, but who am I to judge them? I do agree with you about the quintet thing though...it is the ultimate quintet horn! G-50's also seem to do well as a primary instrument in military bands.

The 2145, 2155, and Miraphone 188 are all great choices though. I was between a Miraphone 188 and a Conn 56J when the Getzen came along...it ended up being better for me.

A few weeks ago Rick D. posted about how his teacher's teacher had a real eye-opening lesson in which he was not happy with what his G-50 was doing. So, Rick's teacher's teacher borrowed the horn and continued to demonstrate that it was an exceptional all-around horn by causing structural damage to buildings on the other side of the street. Thus, proving that such a horn is not limited to quintet or solo.

A lot of it comes down to how big the player can make the horn sound and how well he or she is able to make the horn work in different settings.

Follow Ups: