Re: Negative thoughts - help!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Larry Zaidan on December 02, 2001 at 08:35:41:

In Reply to: Negative thoughts - help! posted by John Tuba on December 01, 2001 at 19:59:52:

I think part of your difficulty is that you are lumping two different problems into one BIG problem. Each problem should be kept separate in you mind. Each problem requires a very different approach.

With regard to your playing concerns, I highly recommend Timothy Galway's "The Inner Game of Tennis", to help you develop a realistic approach to improving your own playing (a lifelong pursuit for all of us!), and maintain the child-like joy of music making. The quality of our own playing, is the part of the equation that we have the most direct control over (well,....sometimes!).

The actual part of making a living with music, is way more complicated. To be successful as a full time professional musician, I think that you have to develop a thick skin to deal with the inevitable rejection that happens along the way. You also have to deal with the financial pressures (if you freelance), while you wait for the occasional symphony gig that comes up.

While others have written some very intelligent posts on the subject, I would like to add one thought. If you do eventually decide to take a non-music job, keep playing!!! There are always local groups who need tuba players, and once there, you can develop connections to play for pay gigs on the side.

Good luck!

Larry Zaidan

Follow Ups: