Advantages of the CC tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on December 06, 2001 at 11:21:10:

After many hours of thought on this subject, I offer what, in my opinion, are the advantages of a CC tuba.

1) When people ask, "Is that a BBb?", I can say, "No, it is a CC tuba, (insert name or derogatory phrase here)!"

2) Because I paid at least 10-15% more for my CC than a comparable BBb, I feel more compelled to practice to not feel like I cheated myself out of money.

3) Also because of the higher price, I feel better about spending $100+ for a mouthpiece because it doesn't seem as expensive when it is being used on a CC tuba.

4) Occasionally you may get a neater graphic engraved on the bell.

5) More pictures of "your horn" in the TUBA journal and other advertisements instead of the pedestrian BBb.

6) The fifth valve. Although many BBb's are coming with fifth valves now (to seem comparable to CC's) five valve CC's have been the norm for a long time. This fifth valve makes us truly more talented because we can coordinate our right thumb or left index finger while playing with four other fingers. Also this, on rotary valve horns, gives us more linkage to either reflect the stage lighting with or to become loose and add more of a percussion section with.

7) The ability to link more professional players with the same modle horn you use.

8) Two feet less of pipe to clean.

9) The ability to read concert pitch music without transposing. Shucks, you can already do that on BBb, I must be thinking C versus Bb trumpet.

10) The ability to speak with knowledge and relevance on why a CC is better than a BBb.

Matt G

ps. I am a CC tub(a)ist.

Follow Ups: