Pivot system, from discussion below

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on December 10, 2001 at 13:05:20:

Pasted in is a post by David Elliot (I hope I remembered the name right):
"That tipping or tilting motion, on other brass instruments manifests itself as an angle change, or "waving the horn in the breeze" as Reinhardt used to say. That was NOT his "pivot", although his earliest books, from the early 40's, might lead some people to think that.
"The pivot that he taught is a slight change in the position of the LIPS against the TEETH, which looks on the outside like the mouthpiece being closer to the nose or farther away. The high range is one direction and the low range is the opposite. Some players play high range closer to the nose, and therefore low range away from the nose; but some play it the oppsite way: high range is toward the chin and low range is toward the nose. That is why the same things don't work for everyone."
---------
I've got a question on this; can it be done with a wet embouchure? It seems that a dry embouchure is needed. My interpretation of what you have described (which I belatedly posted below) is that the mouthpiece is being used to either 1) push the upper lip up or 2) push the lower lip down, to keep the aperture open for high notes. The set returns to "normal" i.e., not pushing the lip out of place, for the lower register. Which lip is pushed depends on the individual. But it seems, that if my interpretation/description is accurate, it won't work with a wet embouchure, which many horn players use.
??

Follow Ups: