Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Recreation and relaxation, which Tuba ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 10, 2001 at 20:40:56:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Recreation and relaxation, which Tuba ? posted by Klaus on December 10, 2001 at 20:03:23:

It is no secret, but I prefer not to use his name at every turn. Really it has been only the last month, and I've only had one monthly lesson so far. I'm studying with Gil Corella, who plays with the USAF band, along with his own jazz ensemble, Unnatural Ax. He will be playing at the Army conference, and he is worth hearing. He played a recital about a mongth ago that was fabulous, both musically and technically.

I have been blessed to have wasted the time of some of the best tuba teachers around. Mike Sanders, Lee Hipp, and now Gil. In both previous cases, circumstances prevented me from taking advantage of the lessons, or of continuing them long enough to really move me more than a couple of steps. I don't mention their names too often, because it isn't their fault, heh, heh. I hope to be able to do better this time, so that Gil will be able to use me on his resume: "I taught Rick Denney, so I can teach anybody!"

Joking aside, I have always overshot in my selection of teachers. When I should have been working on beginner fundamentals with a grad student, I'm drawn to the sound of a top pro. Teaching adults who have to balance their desire to get better against other commitments and responsibilities must be frustrating for a teacher. After reading the stories of some teachers down below, however, it seems that maybe adult students aren't so bad after all.

Rick "whose band likes the York Master part, but is missing the well-played part" Denney

Follow Ups: