Re: Re: Re: Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 17, 2001 at 14:46:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by Anon, this time on December 17, 2001 at 12:21:28:

I think you are vastly overstating the extent of "band director disease" in Texas. I've never lived anywhere (in Texas or out of it) that wasn't well represented with victims of this disease. The symptoms are easy to spot: The compulsion (as opposed to desire) to solve all problems that are presented. In San Antonio, there was the fellow who would tap a drumstick on a music stand when he sensed the band dragging or not staying together. He did this from within the band, not from the podium. And the other fellow, also in South Texas, who felt compelled to announce in a loud voice when someone was sharp or flat in our community band, again from within the band.

But these were the exceptions. I found more examples of solid musicians that had either overcome the system or been beaten down by it, such that they exercise effective leadership or exercised no leadership at all. The tyrants were actually in the minority, as were the effective leaders.

Having spent a good deal of time in the public sector, I know how easy it is to get beaten down by all the silly notions dreamed up by people responsible for producing nothing of value.

Rick "who thinks James should visit the principal, but only with his parents AND his professional private tuba teacher" Denney

Follow Ups: