Re: Florida Orchestra needs damage control

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 19, 2001 at 09:01:59:

In Reply to: Florida Orchestra needs damage control posted by news watcher on December 18, 2001 at 17:26:31:

It never ceases to amaze me about how some elements of society treats orchestral musicians like dirt. Do any of you remember the big deal the networks made about Carly Simon donating the use of her song "Let the River Run" for those current US Postal Service ads? She got a ton of air time, accolades, and guest appearances. I'll bet the sales of her material went up a bunch. Do you suppose that anyone even asked the musicians of the Florida Orchestra if they could use their work for free? Speaking as someone in another major orchestra in Florida, I can say that people here have the strangest ideas about recordings. It's like nothing I've ever seen before. People here think nothing of recording you without compensation and really don't understand when you try to explain to them that this is illegal. In just the last two years, we've had two major problems of this nature with recordings in the FPO. What I find really ironic is that the Florida professional orchestras are not exactly rolling in dough. As another poster said, the Florida Orchestra (just like we here in the Florida Philharmonic) had to accept wage cuts this year because of hard economic times. This kind of seems to me like mugging a homeless person. What's the point? That's why I think that these folks that abuse our recorded material just don't see us as anything other than dirt. Nothing to be concerned about. I sure hope that changes someday.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: