Re: Re: Re: Re: Eb-Tuba Willson vs. Besson Sovereign

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 25, 2001 at 11:17:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Eb-Tuba Willson vs. Besson Sovereign posted by Frederick J. Young on December 24, 2001 at 22:55:06:

"No matter what anyone claims it is absolutely impossible to play a noncompensating
instrument in tune as well as a compensating instrument without a lot of lipping and slide
pulling even if it has a fifth valve!"

This statement leaves very little room for us to find common ground. You are stating this viewpoint as if it were fact. I can cite many examples that contradict your statement. I have several of these contradictions here in my own house. While I may not have my DMA, I have been playing in a professional orchestra for 16 years. I am somewhat familiar with the various makes and models of tubas (though by no means all of them) and I can confidently say that, despite what those equations you mention "prove" to you, there are examples of noncompensated tubas that do play very well in tune without "a lot of lipping and slide pulling". Citing the names of several players who don't use noncompensated instruments as some sort of supporting argument is specious. I can cite just as many examples of players who do use noncompensated instruments. This proves nothing other than that people have preferences.

I think there is no way that we totally understand all that goes on in determining what makes a great instrument. If we did, we'd see quite a few more Stradivarius', don't you think? While the equations you continue to cite may be a good starting point for the discussion, they are by no means the complete story. The existence of instruments that perform outside the parameters of your equations should be an effective illustration of that. You say we should get rid of the antiques. I say we should fully understand them first.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: