Re: Re: Strange system of measuring bore

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 03, 2002 at 09:16:51:

In Reply to: Re: Strange system of measuring bore posted by Klaus on December 03, 2002 at 01:48:55:

Don't confuse comfort with facility!

I wouldn't say that the 981 Eb I used to own was the most comfortable horn to hold but that had no bearing at all on why I chose to trade it for my current Willson Eb. For me, the decision was totally about my facility using two hands to operate the valves. I simply couldn't adjust very well to coordinating the left hand 4th valve into my technique. For me, this was a crucial issue because I was constantly playing in the range of that tuba where the 4th valve was required for anything even resembling good intonation. Ever try to play the Malcolm Arnold Brass Quintet with a horn like that? I worked on those runs in the outer movements for many, many days. I never could achieve satisfactory results. The clincher for me was when I was trying out the Willson Eb I now own and, on a lark, tried to play those runs from memory. They happened almost immediately.

I know that the late John Fletcher played the Arnold with great success using a 981. Which just goes to show that we're all different in various aspects of our playing. For me, having all the valves on one hand is the way to go.

As far as the bore questions, I have no satisfactory response. For me, the bore doesn't matter at all. All I care about is how I sound on the horn and how the horn feels to me. After that, I couldn't care less if they measure in cubits!

I guess this is a posting about absolutely nothing. ;-)

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: