VMI 6/4 or PT-6??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Martin on December 05, 2002 at 19:36:32:

Hi board...I know these tuba comparisons can seem endless, but I'm stuck in a tough position right now. I'm currently trying out a PT-6 (rotory) and I love the horn. I have serious plans to buy it, except for one thing. The horn is brand new from Custom (who graciosly sent it here for me to try), and as a result it is a bit overpriced in my opinion ($9000!). Back at ITEC in North Carolina this year, I had a chance to try out a VMI 6/4 Culbertson CC tuba (rotory) and I remember loving that horn too. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to have the VMI sent down at this time so that I can compare them side to side. I understand that the VMI is a larger tuba and is basically the same thing as a PT-7. The part that baffling me is why the VMI is $3000 less than the PT-6. Because I'm taking out such a large sum of money from the government, this may be my only chance to buy a horn for a long time. So, to all those who think they have valuable input, do you think I should stick with the PT-6 at its lofty asking price, or settle for the horn that is slightly bigger, and almost as good as the PT-6 for much less money. I'm thinking with the extra $3000 I might save, I could buy an F tuba, which has certainly become a necessity to most professional tubists. Any helpful comments are appreciated in advance.
Thanks,
Martin

Follow Ups: