Re: MP sizes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on December 15, 2002 at 15:40:44:

In Reply to: MP sizes posted by SHS Tubamaster on December 14, 2002 at 20:30:27:

The PT-88 has a 33.5mm cup. The Conn Helleberg is a smidge less than 33mm, but I think a smidge bigger than a Bach 12. The Bach 7 is about 33.2mm, the Bach 12 is about 32.7mm, the Bach 18 is about 32.2mm. The Conn Helleberg 7B is around 32mm.

From my experience, with "average size" lips I think, anything under 32mm feels "small" and anything over 33mm feels "large".

The Bach 18 is one local area instructor's choice for all of his students, and the local High School tubists all play Hellebergs. I personally think any of the above mpcs would be fine for concert band. You may find that the larger cup diameters provide a greater challenge in the extreme upper register -- say above middle C. I'm rather fond of the Conn Helleberg for a lot of music, but its inner rim edge is a bit "sharp" and takes a little getting used to. I occasionally use the Bach 7 for a little bigger sound. Lots of folks on this list seem to like the PT-88, so I guess I'll have to try it some day.

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: