Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tony's Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Very Evil on December 19, 2002 at 13:48:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tony's Tuba posted by Rick Denney on December 19, 2002 at 11:35:01:

So…you think Dale is evil….

Well, here’s a few thoughts from Santa at Christmas time (and you what Santa spells if you move the letters around)…

Reason to go play the Holton:
First, as we’ve discussed in depth, there are a lot of variables with the 345s, so you’ve got to go play it, if for no other reason than to report back to us and enter into extensive analysis.

Reason’s to buy the Holton:

Fair Price: If we take the seller at his word, and it does play “GREAT”, then I’d say the price is very fair. I paid $5500 for mine, including delivery and a case. This one’s probably in better shape.

Upside potential: You’re certainly aware of how much my horn benefited from a “structural overhaul”. There’s no way to know until you do it, but for reasons discussed before, I suspect that disassembly and a careful rebuild will yield results.

It's not too big: Now here, I think you’re just inventing excuses for yourself. It’s not “too big” to play in the groups you play in, and it will blend in. Bet you dollars to donuts they kiss your feet when they hear it. When it comes to sounding better than you are, it’s the ultimate form of cheating. I’m playing my Holton this weekend for 2 Cantatas, and I can get underneath a small string/wind ensemble of 15 players…easily. I also have no problems using it in our Tuba-Euphonium ensemble. Granted, you have to focus (or at least be very aware) on blending, and some players don’t like that constant feeling and would rather play a smaller horn where you don’t have that constant feeling of treading lightly. This is defititly a factor, because even at low volumes, it has much more presence than players are used to from the small horns. But, let me remind you of your recent “you guys missed it” post , in which you estimated that a possible HB-21 “was an excellent choice, with still the ability to be light and not bury the bassoon during the duet in the scherzo, but still sizzle with intensity in the outer movements”. Of course, you later learned it was a 6/4 Nirschl. Incidentally, I wonder, if we had put up a survey question asking which horn to play for that piece, how many on the board would have said 6/4 CC? I’ll tell you how many…0. (but more than a few of people’s favorite smaller tubas along with detailed explanations of how anything bigger just wouldn’t be appropriate). Whether or not you find the technique required for using a big horn in a small ensemble to be a hassle, the fact is, you can play it in most applications if you want. Hmmm, I wonder if you’d want to…

More than likely, you’ll have to lip a few notes around here and there, and maybe use a few alternates. Some players don’t like that either…but I think you’ll find it’s very easy to swing the pitch with small adjustments at the mouthpiece.

Ooops, I see there are some evil elves that need my help taking bogus excuses away from somebody else…I’ll have to go now.

Seattle Santa “who sometimes calls himself Tony E”

Follow Ups: