Re: Re: Tis the Season to Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 31, 2002 at 16:53:55:

In Reply to: Re: Tis the Season to Audition posted by Kenneth Sloan on December 31, 2002 at 16:25:37:

No apology needed on my account. I went to college and studied architecture and then engineering. During my stay there, I studied all sorts of topics, including mathematics and physics, that support an engineering degree, but I also took English, philosophy, political science, art, history, and a number of other liberal arts classes to round out the education. Even then, that other stuff wasn't really enough, and I've been filling in gaps since that time on my own. But at least it was enough so that I could recognise those gaps and have the skills to do the filling.

I learned engineering skills in graduate school. What I learned in post-secondary education accounts for perhaps 5% of the technical requirements of my job, with grad school being almost all of that. But I'm a better engineer because of all that other stuff, including the English, philosophy, history, and so on.

If you look at an engineering curriculum, you'll realize that it is a broad, albeit technical, education, quite far from job training per se. And most engineering colleges require elements of a general education as imposed on them by their universities.

Rick "who likes the concept of broadening horizons rather than narrowing them" Denney

Follow Ups: