Re: Re: Re: Tis the Season to Audition

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on December 31, 2002 at 18:20:08:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tis the Season to Audition posted by Rick Denney on December 31, 2002 at 16:53:55:

Engineering (at good schools) is better than other trade schools. I suppose it is the benchmark I use to differentiate "college" from "trade school".

When I was an Engineering student, the faculty were most proud of the fact that our curriculum did not specialize until the very last minute. In effect, the engineering curriculum then (at that school) was a broadly based scientific/mathematical education slightly tweaked to cater only to those committed to engineering, and to prepare those students specifically for the engineering "major" chosen in the last year and a half.

But, it was still a very restrictive curriculum. In response to the complaints that there was no time to take "The American Novel", there was a 5 year double-degree program. The Engineering curriculum was spread out over 5 years, with enough space provided to do a major in some other field and get two degrees.

Chemistry was taught by the chemists - but I took three semesters of Physics which was nearly identical in scope to the first three semesters of Physics taken by Physics majors. In my opinion, where the courses differed, the Engineering versions were inferior. Mathematics was even more interesting. I learned theoretical math with the Honors Math majors (I was a fast talker, then, too) - but learned all of my practical Calculus in the Engineering (oops, Physics) classes.

In my opinion, the world would be a better place if there were more graduate programs offering professional Master's degrees in Engineering, and fewer undergraduate Engineering Schools.

And (back to the topic) I transfer this insight to Music Schools. If I had a son who might end up in music as a career (and I have 1.5 of those) - I would much prefer him to get a college degree in math and philosophy (while apprenticing/studying privately on the side) and then enter a kick-ass 2-year training program/apprenticeship. I feel the same way about someone wanting to teach at the high school level, or below. First, become educated - and then learn how to educate!

Every once in awhile a parent will ask me "what jobs are available for someone who graduates from your Computer Science program", and I have to answer "I don't know...and (to myself) I don't care." What I teach can be valuable to a philosopher...or a Java-hacker. We don't award "Micro$oft Certified XXX Certificates" - if that's what you want, answer the ad on the side of the bus. On the other hand, all of our graduates find rewarding jobs (with healthy paychecks...some larger than mine!)

But, you know...really good Baseball players don't go to college. They know what they want, and they go for it. If you want to make "the Show", certain sacrifices must be made. Only...be sure to make those sacrifices with open eyes.

Follow Ups: