Re: 2341, 191, 1291 BBb & CC & final thought

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Art H on January 01, 2003 at 10:32:58:

In Reply to: 2341, 191, 1291 BBb & CC & final thought posted by Charlie on December 31, 2002 at 02:15:13:

Charlie (above) states, "I think that if they were to make the 2341 like the 56J and do the different bores on the valves that would make it a much better tuba."
I agree, but wish to point out that the 56J does not actually have a larger-bore 4th valve; it only has larger-bore TUBING there. (They cheated, but it works pretty well!) Last summer I obtained a true dual-bore valveset from Mirafone (Model 1271, the smaller BBb piston tuba) and grafted it onto an old York body which is very similar to the King 2341. I am just a "shade-tree tuba mechanic" (literally) but the resulting "Yorkofone" is presently my favorite instrument. If someone with the right connections and skills could obtain some new 2341 bodies and some of those valve sets from Mirafone and put them together properly and plate them or lacquer them the results would be fantastic instruments. One could do the same thing with 56J bodies to make unbeatable CC tubas.

Follow Ups: