Re: tuba advice needed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris B on December 10, 2003 at 04:06:08:

In Reply to: tuba advice needed posted by Lena on December 08, 2003 at 10:43:08:

I skimmed the replies so far and most seem to feel that your son could participate in the school program, but I am not sure that answers your real questions. First, the tuba starte coming into its own as a solos instrument with Harvey Philips, Bill Bell and ohters of their generation. Much later historically than other instruments. All of a sudden, people expected or more accruately learned that it can be an extremely lyrical instrument. So it is not necessary to have a group to play the tuba.
Having said that however, the more important point is that most instrumentalists benefit from playing in some kind of ensembles. When one has to fit a part into a group, a lot of musical growth develops that is hard to duplicate by sitting working on ones own. There are some solutions consisting of books with CDs help alleviate this, but the dynamics of live playing and practicing is stil unique. I have played for over 40 years and have an MA in conducting and have taught in the public schools, so I think I am qualified to comment here. I would encourage you to explore performance options for your son. School programs, summer bands, community groups, church, etc. all provide opportunities. If you have access to other home schooled musicians, think of hosting some musical events at you home. I agree with the others that performing is important to musical development. Lastly, explore some of the very fine CDs by some of the best tuba players in the world. You can email me offline if you can't find titles or companies that sell tuba music.

Follow Ups: