Re: Re: Re: I got a new tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DavidK on December 11, 2003 at 14:38:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: I got a new tuba posted by Kenneth Sloan on December 10, 2003 at 13:14:20:

The latest KING 2341's have 3 water keys. The 3rd water key was added to an interior, lower crook from the 4th valve. As you say, Ken, it is buried.
As I was 'breaking in' my new 2341, I found that the 4th valve tuning slide (with water key) will fit into the lower 3rd valve tuning slide sleeves. If anyone has a problem with water collecting in the lower 3rd valve slide and you want a water key, order an extra 4th valve tuning slide, with the water key. Then pop it into your lower 3rd valve sleeves.

I ran this idea by Matt Walters at Dillon's. He felt it would probably cost about the same to get a new slide as it would to drill the 3rd valve slide, install a new water key and refinish the existing slide. (in brass lacquer, don't know about cost for silver plate.)

I haven't had any problem with water collecting in my 3rd valve tubing...yet. If I do get water in the lower 3rd slide, I'll just pull it and drain it.

Hope this is helpful.
David

Follow Ups: