Re: Auditioners

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by withheld on December 15, 2003 at 12:48:06:

In Reply to: Auditioners posted by KH on December 15, 2003 at 12:31:14:

Being on a audition committe was an eye-opening experience for me. Listening to other tuba players really helped me see some "audition flaws" in my own playing.

Here's a quick list:

Low register - I was surprised at how many auditionees could not play low notes in the context of music. I could have made the finals list based on the players who could produce a nice low F when required in the excerpts.

Flow - Too many of the tubists sounded as if they were going through a school exercise. Even a tuba part in a simple piece should sound like music, not like a bunch of notes strung together. Ask yourself, as a musician, would you WANT to hear more of what you play.

Musicianship - The winner of the audition was evident because of the musical expression in his playing. Accuracy, rhythm, intonation and technique are expected of everyone. One person out of 20 played with attention to accents, articulations, dynamics and created that indefinable product, a music performance.

Sound - Most important to me but the non-tuba players on the committe apparently did not notice the difference in sound between the finalists. They didn't like overblowing.

I feel inadequate having to respond so quickly but I hope this helps the serious students (of all ages) improve. It certainly inspired me.

Follow Ups: