Re: Vintage BBb's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 15, 2003 at 17:33:18:

In Reply to: Vintage BBb's posted by Researcher on December 14, 2003 at 09:24:24:

All the manufacturers made 4/4 BBb instruments in the first half of the 20th.

I'm looking as I write at a York catalog from the 20's. It shows the "BBb Bass", No. 712, with four front-action valves and a one-piece upright bell. It's 37.5 inches tall with a 19.5" bell. In looks, it's a bit bigger in the body than a new-style King 2341. They also a top-action version, Model No. 703.

My York Master was made in Germany in the second half of the century, but it was clearly modeled on (not copied from) those older instruments.

The King 1241 was first made in the 40's, I think, and maybe even a bit earlier.

Jim Self has a picture of one of the 4/4 Yorks on his web site. His is a C, but the factory made both in the same configuration.

I also sat next to a fellow at an Army Conference reading session who had a really old H. N. White King top-action BBb tuba. It was a solid 4/4, and even a little squat at that. The guy makes good sounds on it.

My Conn catalog from the 30's only shows big tubas, but I don't think it shows their whole line.

Rick "who suspects they all made 4/4 tubas during that era" Denney

Follow Ups: