Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opera/tuba question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on December 27, 2003 at 10:55:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opera/tuba question posted by curmudgeon on December 27, 2003 at 01:24:35:

Joe, either you need to have your glasses checked or you're funnin' with me. As another poster listed in this thread, the quote about the "devil tuba" was not some verbal statement that was later written down. In fact, the quote is from a letter, written by Verdi to Ricordi, the publisher of Aida, when they were attempting to stage a set of performances in Paris. This was right after the premier performances of Aida in La Scala. It was written, by Verdi, in response to a contractor's request to use a tuba for the production because he couldn't find a cimbasso player in Paris. Verdi's response leaves no doubt about his intentions. And it is his own words.

I know that Jim Self frequents this list occasionally, perhaps he can chime in regarding the nature of the design that the late Larry Minick produced for Jim in the 70's. I believe Jim called it a "Jimbasso". I saw photos of a Cerveny cimbasso that predates the 70's by a lot. It was very similar in design to Jim's horn. I did a bit of checking around when I was considering purchasing a cimbasso of my own and since I wanted to explore all options, I checked into all cimbassi currently being manufactured. Admittedly, I stuck with the bigger companies because I wanted to deal with someone I knew was going to be around in case repairs would be needed. I don't know what improvements Minick made on Jim's instrument but my research shows that most cimbassi use that basic design. And have done so for many years, certainly well before Jim's instrument was made. The only exception is the Orsi style instrument that I couldn't find any other manufacturer for. Orsi appears to be the only company making a cimbasso in this style. I don't know why.

We could debate the physical characteristics of the instruments a very long time. Why not get down to what really matter? Have you actually played a real cimbasso with a t-bone section? Like I said Joe, the experience was profound. It often made me wish I could use the thing much more frequently. The horn just clicks with the section, in a way that I cannot adequately describe. You should try one and see for yourself. Unless you're afraid that the experience might undermine your lovely relationship with your B&S F tuba...;-)

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: