Re: Learning away from the horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 04, 1999 at 09:08:58:

In Reply to: Learning away from the horn posted by greg on February 04, 1999 at 00:16:29:

It sounds like you're covering the bases pretty well with what you're doing so far. The only other suggestion I'd make is that you might want to, if you can get one, follow the recording(s) of your choice while looking at a full score of the piece. By studying the full score, you will get an idea, as you listen, of what ensemble tests you will face. I can't think of another orchestral tuba part that has such an integral role in the music, other than maybe Die Meistersinger, than Prokofiev 5. It seems like every note is part of the main melodic texture of the piece. These parts are generally executed with other sections in the orchestra. Watch the interplay of the tuba part as it blends with the various sections.

I hope you are listening to Gene Pokorny's recording with St. Louis. I think this may be the finest recording work I've heard Gene do and he is a true master of ensemble playing. My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: