Re: Re: Re: Need vs. Greed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Marcus on February 20, 1999 at 09:26:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Need vs. Greed posted by Dave A. on February 18, 1999 at 11:56:07:

I am in the same situation as Bryan. I love playing the tuba, and I take my tuba playing very seriously. I do hope to own a fine Hirsbrunner HB-21 or Rudi Meinl in the not-too-distant future, although I am not a full-time tubist.

In fact, my career IS convincing people of the benefits, value, and enjoyment derived from owning a top-of-the-line musical instrument, even if they are not concert artists. I sell Steinway Pianos. I often state to customers that a Steinway, with its rich tone color, predictable responsiveness, and reliable tuning stability, will give back more of what the pianist gives in practice, resulting in a more inspiring and satisfying musical experience. Also, a new Steinway, like a fine top-of-the-line tuba, will be a better financial investment than a lesser instrument due to its proven track record of appreciation. If Steinways were purchased only by full-time concert artists for their own use, Steinway would be out of business and I would be looking for a new career (playing tuba full-time??? :)

Follow Ups: