Re: Any Holton 6/4 CCs for sale.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jeff Miller on March 01, 1999 at 08:39:31:

In Reply to: Any Holton 6/4 CCs for sale. posted by Ronnie on February 17, 1999 at 21:29:35:

I have a 6/4 Holton CC for sale.

The instrument:

Mid to late 1960's 6/4 Holton
5 valves: 4 Pistons, one rotary valve (rotary by Hirsbrunner, a Yorkbrunner 5th valve)
CC, converted from BBb by Michael Johnson (Manchester, England), very clean conversion
Silver plated
Completely reconditioned, including valve job (valves replated and handlapped)
no dents
Vented valves

This horn is slightly larger than a 6/4 Walter Nirchl or Yorkbrunner, similar in size to a Meinl 2165 Deck-O-Phone.
It has a very large, organ-like sound, but is also secure (albeit pretty loud) in the upper register.
Stephen Wick, the London freelance player, owns one of John Fletchers old Holton 6/4 CC's. He has told me that he thinks that this instrument is superior to Fletcher's in several ways.
The tuba does have the standard Holton playing characteristics, in that it has some notes which are out of tune. I use alternate fingerings to work around this.

Although the tuba and I both live in London, England, I am willing to ship it to America for trial if you are seriously interested in it. Please email me if you are interested and we can discuss all this in more detail.

Jeff Miller
London, England

Follow Ups: