Re: Re: EEb-Yamaha, Besson or Willson

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on February 03, 2001 at 14:08:21:

In Reply to: Re: EEb-Yamaha, Besson or Willson posted by Ian Easton on February 03, 2001 at 08:51:23:

I wanted to comment on two things on your post. First, I have played a Yamaha 632S EEb tuba and I liked it very much. Both the Besson 981 and 983 I played were inferior to
it. However, I also played a Willson 3400 in the same session and this was clearly the superior instrument, so I bought it. However (second), IT IS NOT A COMPENSATING TUBA. It took me a while to sort out the exercises and etudes to work out the low notes on the Willson but, having done that, the low notes really speak easily and project like nothing else I have experienced in a bass tuba. I use a Dillon F2B mouthpiece after using a Conn 2 mouthpiece for years. It is better (sharper, clearer) in the upper register than the Conn but, I would not whimper if I were stuck with only the Conn 2. I also got Marty Erikson ME 1 and an ME 2 mouthpieces with the Willson 3400 Tuba. These are quite good, too.

I would encourage Jules Busslinger to do as Jay suggested; get the Willson if it is the 5 valve model 3400.

Follow Ups: