Fixes - valve job & leadpipe

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim C. on February 03, 2001 at 20:22:55:

Ok - so I am convinced that my 25 year old horn needs a valcve job - leaks like a sieve. My question is from your experience how will my horn change? I know that finding notes will be much easier (-: but what about the other aspects of my horn? Will the tone change, and if so, how? How about high & low registers? If it hepls, I have a 5/4 CC Hirshbrunner. It's a honey of a horn even WITH its foibles.

Secondly - my leadpipe is a bit elliptical. Would it be better for me to have a professional shop fix it OR buy a new (straight) leadpipe from the manufacturer and have a shop bend it & put it on? I'm not sure that the leadpipe I have is original...

WANTED: Your experience.

I'm looking for anyone who has had a valve job done at Custom Music. They will do valves SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than my "local" shop. Of course, that makes me a bit skeptical. I am impressed by their credentials & with what I have heard from some of their customers. With 5 rotary valves, the price difference (even including shipping) is enormous. I don't have $17k for a new horn kinking around.

Follow Ups: