Re: tuckertuba(AT)msn.com

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on February 07, 2001 at 22:07:38:

In Reply to: tuckertuba(AT)msn.com posted by Dave on February 06, 2001 at 07:56:11:

Sorry that I am unable to recommend anything other than campho-phenique for your situation. Not the best or most comfortable remedy.

However the suggestion about finding a long-term solution is right on the mark. I recently visited my doctor about something unrelated, but he mentioned the fact that cold sores are caused by a particular virus that never completely goes away. It only goes into remission. When the body's immune system is suppressed, due to stress (like an audition), or any other of a number of factors, the virus is laying there in wait for the opportunity to revive itself. If you have had problems with cold sores in the past, they probably have been in pretty much the same place each time it has erupted. This is due to the dormancy phenomenon of the virus.

Consult your doctor about this phenomenon, because there are long-term preventative courses of action (unfortunately, my Dr. didn't elaborate much here) that can be taken when the virus is not active that seem to help. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a cure or a true vaccination for a virus.

Good luck with our dilemma, and I hope that you can play through it.

Steve

Follow Ups: