Re: Re: "Gee, your instrument sounds nice"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eve on February 09, 2001 at 08:04:59:

In Reply to: Re: "Gee, your instrument sounds nice" posted by Rick Denney on February 08, 2001 at 22:56:53:

> Should I have complimented him on attaining
> those new qualities in the brief time (one week)
> since my last concert attendance?

> Or, should I have complimented him on being
> musician enough to know that different equipment
> would allow him to express something previously unavailable?

I perceive that as simply a discussion of the different merits of the two (or more) options... no right or wrong, necessarily. The gear combo that you may have preferred in performance number "X" may have not been the preferred sound/blend/historical-apropriateness/section-sound-etc., option for another listener/muso/tuba player.

I'm certainly not contending that the horn does not make a difference - of course it does. I had attempted to pick up on "anon's" interesting musings about folk's propensity to say "Wow, that horn of yours is incredible!" He (i.e. anon) chose to "challenge" these comments on occasion by offering others a play on his "incredible" horn.

I've had someone put forth the theory to me that it's possibly a way to be discreet (or save embarrassment) when one pro is complimenting another pro -- assuming the standpoint that they're both (all) great players. ...I dunno. I am a pro, but I don't really go in for the "horn worship" (or is it that I'm just too shy to pay compliments?)

Sure, I don't want to "fight" my horn and make my job any harder... that's why the Willson I've posted pictures of several threads down on the BBS gets "driven" wa-a-a-ay less than "only on Sundays"... not that I have an extravagant collection of horns - I don't.

So, my interest is/was more in the language/discussions "we" may have, rather than debating that a Rolls Royce horn is better than a Volkwagen one.

P.S. Who'd have thought I could learn so much about cameras here at Tubenet :-)

Eve "Player/approach/context/horn, not necessarily in that order" Flatt

Follow Ups: