Re: Re: Re: Re: Women in orchestras

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubatheorist on February 12, 2001 at 22:13:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Women in orchestras posted by Steve Dedman on February 12, 2001 at 19:48:06:

I can't believe I am getting in this discussion!(:
I don't believe a female has any disadvantage over a guy. Sure, smaller lungs are a given, but it doesn't mean we can't play just as big and loud as any male. Okay, sorry. Had to say that... even though no one implied that here.
Some females I think are afraid to be stereotyped, and right now there are a few of us out there in the schools with aspirations of being pros. I think we need to stick together, and we meet up and conferences and such and have this discussion. I noticed myself in the past that there were so few female finalists pictured for ITEC or Falcone. Sure, we're a minority, but that doesn't mean we can't exist.
I have high hopes, but with hard work I think I have as much of a shot as a male... (not that anyone mentioned that, let me state that again.)
Sorry if I am being sexist. I just think that we should look at tuba players as tuba players, not what gender they are...
Okay, I am done venting...
oh, and when i was the "girl tuba" in high school, I was noticed, but never proved anything to anyone...(:

Follow Ups: